Monday, July 20, 2009

New Project- Commission of Emily

I've started on a new project, a commission of a young lady named Emily. To the left is part of the reference photo I'm using. I did some slight editing of the original photo in Photoshop. The overall lighting isn't very good so I'm going to have to use some imagination to bring some depth to this drawing. I always seem to be a little disappointed with the early stages of my drawings since they don't really look like much . . . I even tend to procrastinate working on them when I get to this point because I get discouraged that I'm ever going to get anywhere. I seem to be having that problem with this one in a very big way. I've made excuse after excuse over the past two weeks NOT to pick up my pencil and move forward. Last Saturday, I had a dream about drawing this portrait and I was so excited when I first got up! I wanted to jump right in . . . but then, after a shower, then after breakfast, then after a little nap, then a movie on t.v., then playing with my grandkids . . . well, then it was bedtime again- so I accomplished nothing on the drawing. Here is what I have so far:


I had another picture that showed off Emily's beautiful, curly hair, but I kind of liked this one because it features her smile and makes her neck look longer. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do with the background on this. I was thinking maybe a kind of stained glass look or something. I don't know for sure but I'd like it to reflect her personality somehow.

I've promised myself that I'm going to try to get some substantial work done on this tonight... if I succeed, I'll have an update for you tomorrow.

No comments: