Monday, June 29, 2009

Natures Bounty- Part 3 (final)

This definately proved to be more challenging that I'd thought. Here are the final steps and a few notes:


Still laying in the background bark and foliage details.





Getting the base down. When I tire of working on the base, I go back to the beginning and work in even more details from left to right.


Then it's back to detailing the bark . . .


To give you an idea about how much time I spent on this, the little incomplete section on the bottom right took me almost two hours to complete.


I did not like the big leaf that was originally in front of the bunny. I found it too distracting so I decided to take it out and rework that area. When you are working from a photo, don't get too caught up in making your picture look exactly like the photo. Take some things out, add some things if you want to. Many of the leaves and grasses are from imagination, letting the drawing work itself out visually. So often, if you depend on your photo reference too much, you will end up with a really flat drawing. This is one of my better ones, I think, because I looked more at my drawing to see what I needed to do next instead of looking at my reference photo.

I hope you've enjoyed this work in progress. I'll try do do more of these, with more detail, in the future.

2 comments:

Jeanette Jobson said...

Great pieces and wonderful drawing. I shall be back.

Sarah Salisbury said...

Thanks Jeanette!